March 26, 2015

Grandpa Russell

The story most told to me about my early childhood, is that of my attachment to my dad and my grandpa. My mom talks of enrolling me in a mommy/daughter gymnastics class just so I would start doing things with her. There's a picture of Grandma and Grandpa with Kirsten's 3 kids, me, Andrea and Rachel. In the picture, I am happy sitting in the arms of Grandpa Russell. I don't remember much about those first years, but I'm grateful for that initial bond that lead to so many treasured memories I have of my Grandpa Russell. My thoughts and memories right now are mostly vignettes of our time together. So after trying to string them all together, I find it most fitting to just leave them separate without me trying to transition from one thought to the other.
~~~~~
Grandma and Grandpa served two missions for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. Grandma told me they served their first mission for Grandpa (who was called to serve in the Korean War before he was able to serve in his youth). I remember visiting their apartment up the hill from Temple Square in Salt Lake City where they first served as well as the Christmas Eve we spent with them that year. Grandma told me their second mission was them as a couple and they served in Philadelphia and we were able to visit with them there as well to introduce them to Lauren. They were serving there when the World Trade Centers were attacked in New York. A few weeks after the event, I received a card from my grandparents who said they had been reading in the Book of Mormon and shared Alma 28:11-14 with me.

 11 And the bodies of many thousands are laid low in the earth, while the bodies of many thousands are moldering in heaps upon the face of the earth; yea, and many thousands are mourning for the loss of their kindred, because they have reason to fear, according to the promises of the Lord, that they are consigned to a state of endless wo.
 12 While many thousands of others truly mourn for the loss of their kindred, yet they rejoice and exult in the hope, and even know, according to the promises of the Lord, that they are raised to dwell at the right hand of God, in a state of never-ending happiness.
 13 And thus we see how great the inequality of man is because of sin and transgression, and the power of the devil, which comes by the cunning plans which he hath devised to ensnare the hearts of men.
 14 And thus we see the great call of diligence of men to labor in the vineyards of the Lord; and thus we see the great reason of sorrow, and also of rejoicing—sorrow because of death and destruction among men, and joy because of the light of Christ unto life.

They bore testimony and let me know this is the reason they were serving a mission.
 ~~~~~
One of my favorite memories happened the week of Grandma and Grandpa's 50th wedding anniversary celebration. All the extended family gathered together at Pond's Lodge in Island Park outside of Yellowstone. Everyone went together to watch the Old Faithful eruption. My dad checked the times the geyser predictions and found that within a very short amount of time, the five most predictable geysers in the Upper Basin were predicted to go off. Some of the predictions are as much as a +/- 90 minute prediction, but my dad showed interest in going to try to see all of them. After everyone had watched Old Faithful, my dad, my grandpa, uncle Scott and I set off to try to see the other four. We almost Riverside catching it just after its eruption had started and were most lucky to be there at the end of our circle for the Grand Geyser eruption. We witnessed all five that day. It was my birthday July 8th, and I remember thinking it was the best birthday present I could have been given. It seems fitting that it was once again me and my guys.
~~~~~
Evening primrose, yellow and peach roses and raspberries. I long for a garden with these.
~~~~~
Of course you can't talk about Grandpa Russell without mentioning the Utah State basketball and football games. Whether it was watching the sun set behind the Wellsvilles seated on a wood or metal bleacher bench or in the autumn leaf colored seats of Romney Stadium. Many afternoons and evenings were spent cheering on the Aggies. My favorite Aggie tradition however, was the annual breakfast at JB's (or Angie's) before the homecoming parade. But Grandpa was the best kind of fan. He was the one who stayed until the end of the game even when they were down by 40 and it was snowing. But he also spoke no (or little) ill of the opponents. Loyal and kind.
~~~~~
Grandma decided that she was going to stop making desserts in an effort to help Grandpa lose some weight. One Sunday we received a knock at our front door. Grandpa stepped in and said, "Amy did you make any of those delicious brownies?"
 ~~~~~
Of course there are the stories us cousins will tell, like how Grandpa would take us fishing or golfing or his go-to jokes: "Hello, statue?" "What color is a belch? Burple" "The peach pie one". There's the stories of Aggie games and Dr. Pepper. But I think we all can say the greatest gift he gave us was how he raised our parents and how dearly and sweetly he loved Grandma.
~~~~~
When I was in 5th grade I was presented the Hope of America award by the Kiwanis club. Grandpa presented me the award. He took me to several Kiwanis meetings when grandchildren were invited to attend. I am not personally aware of the individual service he gave as a member, but I am grateful to know he was part of a community service organization.
~~~~~
I don't remember all the details of this memory, but I do know that when I was in elementary school, a boy named Fabio moved into the area from Brazil. My family went over for dinner (I don't remember if it was a holiday) and my grandparents had invited Fabio's family over. In my little girl mind I was a little embarrassed that I was having a boy from school over to dinner with my family, but their family joined us several times for dinners and activities. Now I look back and am so grateful the door they opened to either those they invited or friends I brought to their home.
~~~~~
Grandpa and Grandma heard of a little girl in the valley who needed a surgery they couldn't afford.  Not only did they help this girl get the medical care she needed, they provided gifts for the entire family for Christmas that year. I helped deliver the gifts and will forever remember the grateful faces of that family that day.
~~~~~
I remember singing "When Grandpa Comes" in Primary.  The words are "It's always fun when grandpa comes. Hooray! He always says the kindest things and in the kindest way. He has a wrinkly twinkly smile he's happy all the day. It's always fun for everyone when grandpa comes." I can still see the picture of the smile that I saw when I sang that song. I am blessed to have a grandfather who fits this description.
~~~~~
Grandpa had some traditions that he loved. From my perspective, our annual trip to the Shakespeare Festival was largely driven by Grandma Anne. But also from my perspective, our annual trip to Cedar Breaks with a fried chicken picnic and hike down the Alpine Pond trail was largely driven by Grandpa.
~~~~~
Perhaps one of the most special moments for me was being able to participate and witness with John in the final temple session Grandpa led. Grandpa performed my confirmation after my baptism when I was eight. I remember receiving priesthood blessings from him and my dad when I was sick. I sang in the ward choir with him and sat with him and Grandma each Sunday at church. He had a testimony of our Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ and their plan of salvation. I am so grateful for his legacy and righteous example in my life.
~~~~~

1 comment:

  1. What an awesome and beautiful tribute to Grandpa Russell, Aubrey. I loved EVERY. SINGLE. WORD.
    Thank you,
    Aunt Terry

    ReplyDelete