I’ve been collecting my thoughts and memories about my
Grandma Anne. I’ve decided not to repeat the ones that I mentioned in my
Grandpa Russell’s post even though some of those were definitely of them as a
couple. Once again, I’ll just share my thoughts in vignettes instead of trying
to tie them together.
~~~~~
Every Christmas Eve I was sent over to Grandma’s early to
help her set and decorate the many tables that were needed to host everyone for
dinner that night. Throughout the years we found which tablecloths,
centerpieces or glasses went best with which table and it was fun to try to
recall together which ones were the best. I always helped her make the frills
for the crown roast and was often put in charge of other little things to help
the evening run smoothly. It was something I looked forward to each year.
Perhaps the year we had 18 people for Thanksgiving in our one bedroom apartment
in Durham was not intimidating to me because of the time setting up at
Grandma’s.
~~~~~
I don’t know if I believe in tone deafness, but if there was
anyone who was, it was Grandma Anne. Grandma and Grandpa began having an annual
caroling party with their neighbors across the fence the Handys. We had a huge
group with the two of our families and a pretty talented group at that. Each
year we’d switch off between the houses and carol around the neighborhood.
Grandma loved it. She was always singing just as strongly and proudly as
everyone else in the group. At the end of each song, if she hadn’t made her way
to the front of the group already, she would march up to the door to personally
wish the neighbors a Merry Christmas and give her personal greeting. I remember
watching her with such great joy, never embarrassed that she wasn’t matching
the harmonies that were being created. We weren’t there to be a choir, we were
there to spread Christmas cheer and Grandma was perhaps the best at it.
~~~~~
When I was young, each year at Christmas time Grandma would
recite the Grinch from memory and donned her handmade Grinch costume as she
told the story. I didn’t get to see much of Grandma’s directing or acting in my
lifetime, but this was a small glimpse into her passion and service.
~~~~~
Grandma Anne was the queen of make believe and helped make
my childhood quite magical. I remember watching the Mary Martin Peter Pan with
her and as Tinkerbell was dying from drinking Hook’s poison, she looked at me
and said, “Clap. You’re a Rasmussen and Rasmussens believe in fairies.”
~~~~~
Memories of Grandma don't come without some quirks. Many of us (if not all of us) have some funny story of Grandma. But so often those quirky stories are so endearing because they come from a place of sincerity even though sometimes frank. These stories are often humorous, but sharing them in family's company is necessary, because it doesn't always paint the true picture of who we remember Grandma Anne as.
~~~~~
When I was little, Grandma Anne dressed up as a witch each
Halloween. Now when I say she dressed up as a witch, it was not just a dress
and hat. Her teeth were blackened, warts added and skin yellowed and greened.
When we went to visit, we were told that Grandma had switched places with this
witch for the night. I don’t remember the whole dialogue of where Grandma had
gone, but it was convincing enough for a few years. Each time someone would
ring the doorbell, Grandma would fling open the door and cackle giving children
quite the scare. I was the coolest kid on the bus the day after Halloween since
everyone had been scared by my Grandma the night before.
~~~~~
My love for Harry Potter is almost directly tied to the
relationship it gave me with my Grandma. Because my birthday was in July, and
the new books were released each July, every year she would take me to get my
new book for my birthday. When I would drive with her and Grandpa down to Cedar
City or other trips we took together, we’d always have the audio books going in
the car. When my Grandma grew tired of her Halloween tradition, she decided to dress
instead as Professor McGonagall and hosted an annual Harry Potter Halloween
party. Each year there was a great activity. The three I remember most being
the Mirror of Erised where we all shared what we saw in the mirror, the
Pensieve where we shared our most treasured memories and my personal favorite,
the Boggart we had to banish.
~~~~~
I grew up in the same ward (congregation) as my
grandparents. We always sat on the third middle row and my Grandma always
preferred to be right under the pulpit. Every Sunday my grandma commented on
how we were matching that week. She went to sometime absurd lengths to make it
happen talking about how her green skirt was the grass and my flowered dress
were the flowers above the grass and her yellow top was the sun shining over
both them. But anytime I sat next to Grandma, she’d pull out a pencil and we’d
write on the program of the day filling every blank space with her beautiful
cursive as she asked me about all the youth that were helping with the
sacrament or giving talks. Or sometimes the questions were about me or more
general matter. But the scribbling didn’t stop until it was time for the
closing song.
~~~~~
Every summer my family went with Grandma and Grandpa to the Utah Shakespeare Festival. In order to prepare us for the week, we would have a family evening where we would act out the plays on their back patio. It familiarized us with the works and was always a highlight of the year. We loved dressing up and my Grandma's excitement was contagious. There are so many little memories I have of the festival with Grandma. Every year I didn't get a Harry Potter book for my birthday I got a souvenir from the festival. The morning after each of the plays, the festival holds a seminar to discuss the previous evening's performance. I loved going with Grandma to go listen to the seminars. They'd discuss directing choices, insider information to performance glitches and general reviews to previous productions along with all sorts of other discussion. I was so often the youngest audience member there but I just loved it all. We'd so often discuss our opinion of the play on the way there and then have fun seeing what had changed due to what we had heard, or just complaining about the ridiculous comments some people felt necessary to share.
~~~~~
Grandma and Grandpa were good at giving us kids experiences as gifts. Whether it was a ride on the Polar Express, tickets to plays (the time just us older grandkids got to go to Westside Story together was soooo fun!) or even something that was just meaningful, like the blankets they sent us from Philadelphia, I almost always felt an additional meaning behind what they would give us.
~~~~~
When I dated and married John, I quickly fell second to Grandma Anne's attention. I think this is partially because John has an amazing ability as a listener but was greatly due to the fact that they share the same birthday. John would tell her, "Only the best looking and most intelligent people are born on March 16th." She loved it. We made sure she got a call from her birthday twin every year and I loved the special relationship John had with her. The last time I met with Grandma, my family had gone together on Christmas afternoon to sing her some carols. Even from my visit two weeks prior, she wasn't able to really recognize what was going on. But when she saw John, she said, "Oh, what a surprise!" I love that two people whom I love so much found such a bond.
~~~~~
I remember visiting Grandma Anne at Temple Square on her mission. Then we got the opportunity to also visit them while they served in Philadelphia. She would always tell me, "We served on Temple Square for Russell and we served in Philadelphia for us." She was a woman of great and unshakeable faith. It was important to her to bear testimony to us of the salvation that comes through Jesus Christ. Her love of her family gave her the greatest joy, and because of that it was also sometimes her greatest concern. But she always found strength and comfort in the message of the redeeming power through Christ.
No comments:
Post a Comment