September 12, 2013

Going to Carolina

Well we're here.  North Carolina.  And our car is 2 hours away from driving coast to coast.  John's begun work and since our stuff isn't here yet, and I don't have work/teaching/callings keeping me busy yet, that means blogs will once more be happening. (At least for now)

John and I really actually enjoyed the drive here.  You don't realize how large the country is and really how many different cultures there are throughout the country until you drive through it.  (The same as not being able to picture the Eiffel tower, grand canyon, etc. until you see it)  We left Monday night, stopped in Denver, St. Louis and Corbin, KY before arriving in North Carolina.  We had hopes to take our time touring across America, but due to lack of time and funds, we only made a few pit stops along the way.  It was so good to be back in Denver, if only for and evening and we both had a little bit of a hard time watching the sun rise on the Mile High city knowing we would then be driving even farther east away from what had become home.  The second day was long as we trekked across Colorado, Kansas and Missouri putting us just outside of Saint Louis. 

Wednesday morning we woke up early again and I asked that we stop at the Gateway Arch.  We started walking around the park about 7:15am and John almost had me on the top of the arch.  This is a big deal.  The last time I was at the gateway was the summer after 5th grade.  My parents had purchased a ticket for me to go up the arch.  The problem was when the guide at the base of the elevator thing started explaining how the arch sways in the wind, and I was able to look inside the pod that was going to take me to the top.  I started crying and refused to go up.  Well this time, John almost had me.  We were planning to try to get the first tickets up.  I of course started panicking again (I walked the stairs at the Eiffel tower and didn't go to the top) and was so grateful when we found out that the first ticket leaves at 8:20am, too late for us to meet our dinner appointment in Kentucky.  Whew!  John was particularly pleased for us to drive through Kentucky, and I was so happy to meet Dave and Debbie.  John met them in Kentucky and they have signed papers saying that John is 1/3rd their son when he is in the state of Kentucky.  It was such a fun night and we'll definitely be making our way back up there. 

Thursday was my favorite part of the drive.  Southern KY, northern TN and southern VA were BEAUTIFUL!  I wish I could have really taken it all in, but my nerves of finding an apartment seemed to be getting the best of me at this point.  I'm so excited to be so close to so many new adventures and such great areas of beauty and history to explore!

We searched for apartments all day on Friday and put in an application at literally the last minute Friday night.  I truly feel blessed for how this has all worked out.  I was so nervous since a lot of leasing offices have shorter hours Saturday and Sunday and Labor Day was Monday.  The idea of living in a hotel for a week while I searched for apartments by myself was too much!

Our explorations have been limited since our check engine light has come on (another blessing that it made it across the country and through apartment searching before it decided to come on). 

A few things I've enjoyed learning/experiencing so far...

~ Exercising.  We knew it would be easier coming from Denver/Utah but it's crazy that my muscles wear out before my cardiovascular system.

~ BBQ.  We have already found our way to some amazing bbq.  If we come out of this year broke, it'll be from to much bbq.

~ Crisper Drawer.  Now I know why you have a crisper drawer in your refrigerator.  Your veggies don't stay crisp if they aren't in it.

~ Trees.  Yep they're everywhere, and I feel like I'm in a constant labyrinth. 

~ I-85 South goes west.  I knew they didn't have the grid system, but no one uses north, south, east or west do describe anything.  We keep telling people we live in Southwest Durham and they just stare.  Also, the roads that say they are going south, could be going any direction, so really, even when I think I am being told I'm going south I might not be.

~  New animals.  Vultures fly around everywhere, cardinals, possums (only dead ones as of yet), fireflies, the salamander/newt things that live under our building and so many more bugs than I could have ever imagined.

I think each blog might get a couple of these "new" things. 

John's loving his work so far and is really excited to grow here.  I'm excited to get busy with whatever work or anything I can find!

Love from the east!

No comments:

Post a Comment