February 20, 2012

January

So, January was a whirlwind of a month and flew by us faster than we could have hoped. We went from nothing to do in December, to crazy busy in January. I guess not ever as busy as we were in Logan though...because we've still been sleeping at night. We got back from the holidays and I started my new job working about 30 hours a week as an assistant/book keeper for an accountant. He is an LDS man who runs his business from his home and I work with 4 other employees although some of them are part-time or very part-time co-workers. It's a stretch for me, not so much of what needs to be done, but how to do it...but I'm learning. John found the month long break to be a little bit too much of a vacation and getting back into school was a little rough. His classes this semester are a lot of community based classes, something that is good to know, but not where he wants to end up in his career. It's a lot of policy and program learning as well as observing and advocating for different groups of people. John's more like me. Let me have someone one on one and I feel like I can make a difference with their playing. He feels the same way about being a therapist.
Once again, thanks to John's internship, we were able to attend a sporting event. I personally have a hard time with professional games sometimes, just because the crowds aren't as invested in it...and this game wasn't worth being invested in, but from the ticket above you can see the seats were. Club seats worth $115. Don't think we'll ever get that opportunity again.
John received two new callings in January. He now gets to learn who the adults are in our ward instead of knowing the kids in the nursery. He has been called as a stake auditor and the Sunday school president. So while those callings have been keeping him busy, I had a little fun of my own. The woman who runs the music studio I teach in is the Stake Relief Society president of the Boulder Stake. She asked me if I would be willing to orchestrate some pieces for their women's conference. The Boulder Stake was hosting Sister Barbara Thompson as their guest speaker for the conference. Because a representative of the General Relief Society President would be attending, eight or nine stakes were invited to participate. They have always tried to put together good music for their conferences though, and this one would be no exception with a choir accompanied by as full of an orchestra as they could have in a the chapel. (no brass, percussion) We only had 2 1/2 weeks to orchestrate them before the first rehearsal. I orchestrated three of the songs for the conference (but more on the conference in February's post). It's sad to say that John and I are already wishing for another vacation and planning what March's break may give us.

No comments:

Post a Comment